Monday, May 26, 2014

What Memorial Day Means

Each Memorial Day, it's a time for me to reflect on my life. There are so many people who have died in the line of duty, serving the USA. So many men and women have survived the atrocity of war. Wars started because of religious beliefs, love of ones Country, betrayal of friends - this is never ending. One war after another, War of 1812, WWI, WWII, Vietnam War, Iraq War - Operation Desert Storm, etc.
My Dad is buried @ Golden Gate National Cemetery, San Bruno, CA 
In The Navy
My Dad was in the Navy, and served the USA during the Vietnam War. His ship docked in San Francisco during the 60's. They would dock in San Francisco, so far away from Chicago, Il, where he was raised.
My Dad was proud to be in the Navy, and took all of his missions seriously, not telling us why he was in Cuba, or China - just sending gifts to my Mom. My Dad said that the trips/missions were classified.
He loved being an American, and took his military expeditions to the grave.

Sitting on the Doc of the Bay
Yes, my Dad was "Sitting on the Doc of the Bay". He met my Mom, they got married, and the rest is history. I was born in San Francisco, CA - the 31st State to be admitted to the Union, at Letterman General Hospital located on the Presidio Army Base - right near the Golden Gate Bridge. This was after my Dad had served his time in the US Military. It all seems like yesterday when my Dad would take us to
Golden Gate Park to play - everyday. We were happy children, and knew that our Parents loved us, and made sure that we had well balanced lives.

Letterman General Hospital., located on the Presidio Army Base,
in San Francisco, CA 
Life
My father was in a terrible car accident that rendered him a quadriplegic he lived, paralyzed from the neck down, for 31 years. Every year, he showed us all why we should be grateful for life.
He died September 18, 2001, from complications due to his major organs shutting down.
R.I.P. Daddy.
My Dad taught me to appreciate life - be grateful for the little things in life, like touching ones nose, or scratching ones head. My advice? Value others. Learn to forgive and Live.Your.Life.....Pray for Peace - (Daniel 2:44, Rev 21:4, 5)

Truly with love & light,
Carla

No comments: