Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day - A Native San Franciscan's Perspective

There were no birther issues - I was born in San Francisco, CA - the 31st State to be admitted to the Union, at Letterman General Hospital located on the Presidio Army Base -to Gladys and Albert Spells Thomas Sr. My Father proudly served in the Navy and my Mother worked in private industry.



My Mother had a clear job description for us children; be respectful and obedient to your parents and grand parents, respect other adults, do your house work and home work, get good grades and have f-u-n!

It was our job.

Why? Because my parents believed that since childhood is such a short period of time, children should not have to worry about adult problems.
I clearly remember the mornings that my Mom got us bathed, clothed and fed, and my Dad took us to play in Golden Gate Park in the mornings. My grandfather would pick us up after school on Wednesdays and take us to Golden Gate Park to play as well. It was our routine.

It all seems like yesterday.

My father was in a terrible car accident that rendered him a quadriplegic 6 months after my brother, Stuart's death - SIDS - and my Mother had to deal with the death of a child and a husband with special needs and raise her surving children. Wow. Mother, you are my Super Hero. You still found time to love and care for us, despite the other things crowding in on our time/space/life. Without your love, we don't know where we'd be.
Mother, we'd like to thank you for always being there for us, making sacrifices for us and making sure that we as siblings were taught to care for, like and love one another - look out for one another. Mother, Al, Carla, Valerie, Detroit, Rebecca and Malisa love you very much - This I know for sure.

Hats off to you women that took the time to realize that children don't ask to be born, but once here, they deserve quality time, love and attention.

To all of the Mothers whose hearts allowed enough space in them to love and nurture children that were birthed by another Mother, but loved by you -
May you continue to be blessed 1,000 fold.

Truly with love & light,
Carla

A Bridge to Strawberry Hill - Stowe Lake - Golden Gate Park - PDPhoto.org

No comments: