Monday, January 18, 2010

Dr Martin Luther King Jr. - Happy Birthday!

This is a time for reflection.
What does Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday mean to you? That's the question.
During one of his sermons at the Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta, a couple of months prior to his death, Dr. King Jr. touched so many hearts that day.
He said, in part:
" If any of you are around when I have to meet my day, I don't want a long funeral. And if you get somebody to deliver the eulogy, tell them not to talk too long...Tell them not to mention that I have a Nobel Peach Prize, that isn't important. Tell them not to mention that I have three or four hundred other awards, that's not important...I'd like somebody to say that day, that Martin Luther King Jr. tried to love somebody...I tried to feed the hungry... I want you to say that I tried to serve humanity...tell them that I was a Drum Major for peace..."
I hope that everyone around the world understands that this American Holiday is not just a "Black" American Holiday, no - this is an American Holiday. African Americans came up from slavery working shoulder to shoulder with other ethnicities, building this country with blood, sweat and tears. Yes, this is a day to learn more about America's history. We will tell you the story and not romanticize it. Better yet, ask your Grandmother, Grandfather, Aunt, or Uncle about the Civil unrest that reached it's peak during the 60's in America. I'm sure the elders in each of our families can add a demension of light on the subject.
I suggest that on a rainy day like this day, one bundles up the young ones and go visit the California Science Center here in Los Angeles, CA. There is an exhibit that quantifies so much of what America the Beautiful has become because of the richness added by its fellow Americans. Please visit Tavis Smiley's exhibit America I AM.
Celebrate this day. As I walk out the door, I'm humming Happy Birthday to you, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. - Stevie Wonder style....Love C

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the site and you too Carla. Happy BDay MLK.